Met Eireann has issued a yellow weather warning for the week ahead, warning of snow, sleet and widespread frost.
Temperatures are set to drop as low as -3C. Whilst the worst of the weather is predicted for the southwest, west and north, we need to be prepared for freezing temperatures in the south east too.
Carry out these simple checks to stay safe and avoid claims for your car, home and business:
- Ensure pipes in unheated areas are insulated and outdoor pipes are turned off in order to avoid freezing.
- Make sure your chimney is cleaned.
- Ensure windows and doors are properly sealed.
- Be prepared for power outages – have battery operated lights and appliances ready.
- Prune back any branches close to buildings.
- Check vehicles to make sure tyre thread depths are over the minimum requirements and that they have supplies of anti-freeze.
- Never drive without windscreens having been fully defrosted, use dipped headlights and keep well back from the traffic in front.
- Stock up on supplies, including grit and shovels. Hopefully we won’t need them but preparation is key!